Star Trek XI

These forums are to discuss anything related with the STMC or Trek in general.
Please do not ask for or discuss pirated versions of software.
enzolima

Star Trek XI

Post by enzolima »

Well, since there hasn't been much of a talk about the new movie here (actually there hasn't been a lot of talk in general............), i tought it might be fun to start a thread about it.

Of course you all have seen the topics on other forums, but they're all kind of negative :roll: so i tought we could have a real conversation about it in this friendly community 8)

SO! Tell us! Are there ad campaigns for st11 in your neighbourhood? When will you go see it?

Around here (netherlands), you hear nobody about it. There hasn't been a tv ad, there are no posters, nothing. Only on the website of our national cinema brand (all cinema's in the netherlands belong to pathé), there is a small notion in the upcoming movies list, but you have to search to find it. I really hope they will make a tv ad for it soon, as the release date is getting really close.

Anyway, i don't think i'll go see it on the release date. I wanna take some friends with me, and i dont want to risk the movie to be sold out....

Erik_Timmermans
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek XI

Post by Erik_Timmermans »

Well, at work we organised a group to go see it. Unfortunately I can't since I'm gonna be working myself. But other than that, I haven't heard or seen a thing around here. They seem to be releasing it really quietly which can't be good for visitor numbers! Let's see what it's like, I'm definitely going to see it.

enzolima

Post by enzolima »

YEAH!! The first ad came up yesterday! Finally a commercial in amsterdam about this 8)

troy2000
Mesh Moderator

Post by troy2000 »

I was at the London premiere of XI.

It's an unbelievable movie. There is a totally new Star Trek feel to it. It is incredibly realistic. The CGI is damned near perfect, and the warp scenes are truly exhilarating.

One thing that ensures existing fans such as myself will enjoy it, is the fact that it takes place in an alternate timeline, which is caused by....(no spoilers here!! xD)

Another factor of realism is that a lot of technology is branded and designed under the names of well-known manufacturers. For example, the Nokia car-phone-like-thing.

As well as little quotes and classic Trek-style humour here and there. There was even a reference to "Admiral Archer's prized Beagle" :D.

I can't wait to see this again. There are TV ads on constantly here, with many large billboards showcasing the "STAR TREK" logo.
My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4Ghz .
GFX: 2x Nvidia GTX 260 (Overclocked) SLI.
RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 1100Mhz.
HDD: 6.2TB RAID array.

Windows 7 FTW! :D

enzolima

Post by enzolima »

you already saw it? cool!!

Thanks for not telling spoilers, i really dont want to hear anything about it until i saw it 8)

good to hear that its such a good movie. I'm gonna reserve tickets for the premiere in amsterdam now :lol:

enzolima

Post by enzolima »

I saw it!!! It's a really cool movie, shows a whole different side of the characters. And i agree on the CGI; it was awesome!!

I really hope Abrams will stay in charge for a whole new trek franchise 8)

Sherlock Holmes
Captain

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

I didn't like it. I mean ILM was great with effects. Never cared for the Design, nor the brewery engine room. But what bothered me most, which seems to be the nrm for recent films and TV is THAT STUPID CONSTANT CAMERA SHAKE. UGh. And dont let me get started on JJ Abrams unhealthy obsession with lensflares.

BUt i couldnt believe the Angles ILM was able to get with the space scenes. And I love the Kelvin. Thats one real good design. I never liked single nacelle designs, but the Kelvin has my support all the way. To be quite honest I like all the support vessel designs much much better than the JJprise. I cant stop seeing a turkey when i look at it. But it could have been much worse. But did anyone else think total EPICness when the Enterprise emerged from the gas atmosphere of Titan??? Thats got to be the most BOOYAH scene in star trek history!!!

I hate to disagree with you Enzo but i hope he don't direct anymore. Like Lucas hes an awesome producer, but a horrible director(Tilted cameras, shaking, and Lensflares ruined the experience for me). Also, when the Kelvin was being blown all to hell, the bridge just didnt look as chaotic as it should.-like think of the defiant's bridge when it was destroyed in "The Changing face of evil"-or the Nx-01 bridge in "Azati Prime". And until i saw the concept art, i didnt even have a good idea of that the kelvin bridge looked like (LENSFLARES BLOTTED IT OUT. EVERY TINY LIGHT FLARED THE CAMERA) and as it turns out, it had a really awesome bridge. I would love to see Nick Meyer come back and direct. I love his nautical style with famous literature inputs.
If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth- Sherlock Holmes

enzolima

Post by enzolima »

Okay... i kinda tought the lens flares made the scene look bigger than the screen...

You are right about the engine room, should have been a little more tought trough on how to do that, it looks to big and ancient for a spaceship. However, the clean style of the ship (and transparent screens at last!!) made up for a lot of things as far as i'm concerned.

And i'm a sucker for light (somehow i want everything brighter) so the lens flares kind of made my day :lol: but i can see why people would be annoyed by them. At one point spock was being obscured mid-sentence by the flare of a led light :mrgreen:

Sherlock Holmes
Captain

IT gets to the point where you cannot enjoy a picture. You cant apreciate the scenery, the set, or the actor's performance because the Lendflares blot out the screen. I might as well have a videotape with bad tracking.
If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth- Sherlock Holmes

Erik_Timmermans
Site Admin

I agree with the lens flare issue; it's just a bit too much. Like Enzolima, I think they make the scene appear bigger and more intense, but at some stage you cross a line and the effect kills itself. The camera shake.... It's a thing in movies at the moment. Man, for example, I loved the new Battlestar Galactica but every episode made me sick with the camera shakes. But appearently camera shake is here, and to movie makers it's the thing to do.... :)

Sherlock Holmes
Captain

I forgot to mention that i likes the flares in the exterior shots. ILM knows how to handle Lensflares. However, if they were still using models, im sure Abrams would have been there flashing a flashlight into the camera to blot the ships out. I should also add more positives to this movie, we wanted to keep the positives up. Did anyone else think that those other ships all had Kick@$$ designs? Im talking about the small time Starfleet vessels we only get a glimpse of. And for some reason, i really really love the hull design of the kelvin. I cant put my finger on it.
I like the idea of having podiums for the yeomans to do thier "Paper" work on, on the bridge. Even though im not fond of the bridge design, i do like that aspect. and i think in front of the turbolifts is the perfect placement for them. And the lamps add a nice touch as well.

Erik_Timmermans
Site Admin

Yeah I liked that; it still gives the bridge that classic look, even though it's a more modern bridge than the Enterprise-E ;). What I like about the classic era too, is the fact that many people walk around. This is missing a bit in later Trek.