Looking for model/video help for professional Trek stageshow

These forums are to discuss anything related with the STMC or Trek in general.
Please do not ask for or discuss pirated versions of software.
Corbomite
Cadet

Looking for model/video help for professional Trek stageshow

Post by Corbomite » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi there,

My name's Chris Rathjen, and I'm a non-modeler here looking for whatever assistance people would be willing to offer for a Star Trek-themed professional comedy production. The show, called simply Improvised Star Trek, has been running intermittently as a live show at the iO Theater of Chicago (http://ioimprov.com/chicago/io/shows/im ... -star-trek) since 2009 and as a podcast (Image) since 2011.

The premise is that we're original characters in the year 2374 assigned to one of, if not the, last constellation class ships still in service, the USS Sisyphus. I'm afraid we don't have any footage of the live show, but if you're interested in what it's like, here's a brief scene from the podcast with some rough animation. Image

Our live show is fully produced with sound cues, ambient noise, and music (mostly from the TNG soundtrack), and we were looking into the possibility of adding some video as well. The plan was to get some clips to include at the top of the show and for scene transitions, such as the familiar trek shots of the ship at warp or in orbit around a planet.

While no one has any experience with modeling our cast is not completely without hope technically, we do edit the podcast and more specifically one cast member(a Ruby developer) is willing to spend some time on the project(we're all mac guys here, so most likely going to be using Blender). That said, we'll be starting from scratch teaching ourselves, so any help that could get the footage available for use in the show sooner rather than later would be much appreciated. The most we can offer is full credit on the website and podcast, as well free tickets to the show to anyone able to trek to Chicago(and if you can't make it, we'll name an admiral after you on the podcast :) ).

I've seen the fantastic Stargazer model Raul Mamoru made public, so we're past the biggest hurdle (thank you Raul, fantastic work!), and I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to help with changing the name and registry number for the ship (NCC-3541). As long it was in a blender compatible format after that we could probably put together some shots eventually, but looking around at the amazing work I'm seeing on this forum it's obvious the shots would look exponentially better(and probably be done in a fraction of the time) if any of you wished to help composite those as well. So if this sounds like a project you'd enjoy doing, please let me know, we'd really, really appreciate it!

If you've got any more questions about the show, let me know. And if you're not interested, but think you might enjoy an improvised radio play set in the world of Star Trek, check out the podcast Image

Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Re: Looking for model/video help for professional Trek stage

Post by Chainsaw_NL » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:31 am

Hi Corbomite,

Welcome to our forums. I would realy like to see some of you work on that show. Shame there is no footage available.

But on the matter of helping out what kind of assistance would you be looking for. For a live show the only thing i can think of is perhaps some LCARS screens for props. Looking at some of the pictures on the website it is mostly TNG. If you are looking for some custom animations the best animator here for that genre is Chris2005 memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10
He has some awesome work from TNG on his youtube channel. (open in new window) http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8e7xmiBN99EAus9A9Yx8DQ

If you are interrested i have all voyager LCARS screens in Adobe Illustrator format.

Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Post by Raul Mamoru » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:31 am

Well... Now we have a ship.

U.S.S. SISYPHUS
Image Image
Link for download soon.

Chainsaw is right.
Chris2005 (currently Chris Cunningham on u2b) has a great artistic sensibility.
But if Chris can not answer you, there is another very active animator, the VideoSpaceFX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpUpEDY5_24

Here is a similar request:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=522
Translated by GOOGLE Translated by GOOGLE

Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Post by Raul Mamoru » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:28 am

They are gone ...

Corbomite
Cadet

Post by Corbomite » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Raul, thanks for the images and model modification, it looks great, I look forward to a link!
And Chainsaw, I'll check out those links, maybe reach out to Chris. Thanks for those help both of you.

Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Post by Raul Mamoru » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Corbomite?

Image Link available in your PM inbox.

Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Post by Chainsaw_NL » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:02 am

Starship syphilis??

Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Post by Raul Mamoru » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Image Starship U.S.S. SYPHILIS Image

Your worst enemy is the
Penicillin Federation.

A dictatorial regime, does not take prisoners.
They exterminate absolutely everything.
The Borg do not dare to attack this race.

...............Syphilis - Sisyphus.................
Refer to the Wikipedia for disambiguation.

:mrgreen:

Corbomite
Cadet

Post by Corbomite » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:33 am

Hi Raul,

Downloading it now, thanks so much! The cast member who is going to be doing the bulk of work just got a new job(it was a pleasant surprise), but I'm hopeful we'll be able to put it to use by our March show. We'll probably be back with some questions as we work stuff out, and will definitely share our results here!

As for the Sisyphus/Siphilis similarity, I have to give you a clap for that.

Cheers!

Corbomite
Cadet

Post by Corbomite » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi there,

I just wanted to do a quick follow-up since you were all so helpful earlier. As you may have notice "end of March" came and went without any product to show. That's my fault, I got ahead of the individual who would actually be doing the bulk of the work on this. He got caught up in some other projects. I did just want to check in and say thanks for your help and advice, you've got a very welcoming community here.

Hopefully we'll have time to give this the attention it deserves in the future.

Cheers,
Chris

Erik_Timmermans
Site Admin

Post by Erik_Timmermans » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:10 am

I do hope so too! Thanks for the update :)