How to make single mesh solid model

These forums are to discuss anything related with the STMC or Trek in general.
Please do not ask for or discuss pirated versions of software.
RA1981
Cadet

How to make single mesh solid model

Post by RA1981 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Hello,

anyone knows a way to convert the available models into single mesh solid models? I already tried tools like MeshMixer, FreeCAD, Meshlab, CUR3D, etc. but I wasn't able to convert properly or the result looses outer details.

My goal is to have a single mesh solid model which can be modified in a CAD package. I want to print the models with a 3D printer, but I want to try if I can make models which can be illuminated from inside. Therefore, having a solid model would enable me to modify for the needed cutouts, etc. for the electronic parts.

So, I want to ask if anyone can help me to convert the models. Learning how to convert them would be interesting. But my experience is more on CAD packages than on tools like Blender, 3DS, etc.

Regards

Erik_Timmermans
Site Admin

Re: How to make single mesh solid model

Post by Erik_Timmermans » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:05 pm

How to do it properly will depend on the mesh. Usually, the original software it was made in is the best to use as they will retain the shape while making a solid mesh.
Problem is, it does not always work very well as some shapes (and texture mapping) depend on hierarchy and as such the option to do it is not always available or effective.

Once converted, it could become harder or easier, depending on the conversion quality and the software it's loaded in. I'm not quite sure that there would be one single technique that fits all; to retain the shape will be a challenge I'm afraid.

RA1981
Cadet

Re: How to make single mesh solid model

Post by RA1981 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi Erik,

thank you. That's what I was afraid of :/ I'll check if I can find a way which works.

Regards