Making ringed planets in 3ds Max

Use this forum to post your tutorials and share your techniques with the world. Tutorials can be for any 3D package.
Also, for any 3D related software, this is the place to recommend new or good plugins or software. Commercial advertising is not permitted!
Destral
Cadet

Making ringed planets in 3ds Max

Post by Destral » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Destral. A lot of people might know me as thedarkarcon4 on youtube and Toa Kaita on several forums, like scifi-meshes. I figured I'd bring a bit of activity to this place by showing off a tutorial I made in the past. This tutorial will show you how to create ringed planets with detail in 3ds Max, utilizing a sphere, particle systems, and a cylinder or two.

OK, for starters, create a sphere with a radius of 10 and 12 segments The more segments you have in your sphere, the longer the render times will take, so I'm going to use 12 in this tutorial. Center it in the middle of your work station. Next add a Noise Modifier to it. In the noise Parameters menu, give these settings:

Seed: (Whatever number you wish)
Scale: 100
Fractal must be checked.
Roughness: 0
Iterations: 6

Strength: X 25, Y 25, Z 25

This will give us our asteroid. But we want it to have materials on it, correct? Well you may choose whatever material you wish for this asteroid, as long as it’s dull, grey, and has a lot of craters in it. For this tutorial I’m going to use the standard 3ds max moon map.

Next, copy your sphere as a Copy instead of Instance. This sphere will be modified as follows:

Radius: 1250
Segments: 200

Delete the noise modifier on this sphere as it is not needed. Then grab your favorite planet material and apply it to the sphere.

Then create a Tube, centered in the middle of your workstation. Apply these settings:

Radius 1: 3000
Radius 2: 2000
Height: 0.1
Height Segs: 1
Cap Segs: 1
Sides: 200

Then Go into Object Properties and uncheck “Renderable.” I’ll explain why later.

OK, next we will be creating a Particle Flow Particle System. Go into your “Create” Tab and click the dropdown arrow and select Particle Systems. Create a PF Source.

Once you have created your PF Source click Particle View.

In the Particle view, look at event 1 and click on “Birth 01.” In the Birth 01 Modifier tab set these settings:

Emit Start: 0
Emit Stop: 0
Amount: 2000

Next, add a “Position Object” Modifier into Event 1. Then click it, and choose your Tube as an Emitter Object. This is the reason why we unchecked "Renderable" before, so in the final render, we see the asteroids instead of the cylinder overtop of them. Change the location from “Surface” to “Volume.”

Delete your “Speed” Modifier.

Leave your “Rotation” Modifier alone for now.

Now, delete your “Shape” Modifier and replace it with a “Shape Instance” Modifier. For your Particle Geometry Object, select your Asteroid Sphere.

Now render it and you should have an effect something like this.

Pretty sweet, eh? Now do you want one ring or two rings?

If you want two rings, keep reading.

Select your Tube and give it these settings:

Radius 1: 2000
Radius 2: 1500

Now create another tube. Give it these settings:
R1: 3250
R2: 2250
Height: 0.1
Height Segs: 1
Cap Segs: 1
Sides: 200

As before, go into the object properties of the tube and uncheck “Renderable.”

Now, go back and select your PF Source, and enter Particle View. Now go to Event 1, select the “Position Object” Modifier, and add your second tube. You should get an effect like this (Glows not included).

That’s my tutorial, I hope it helps.

CREDIT: Kristian Foshaug @ 3d Total for his ‘Asteroids’ Tutorial and inspiring me to make my own

Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Re: Making ringed planets in 3ds Max

Post by Chainsaw_NL » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:35 am

Nice one thanks. Also using multiple ring with slightly lichter and darker colors will give it more depth.

Destral
Cadet

Post by Destral » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks, and nice tip!

Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Post by Chainsaw_NL » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:11 am

For some reason it's not locking on to the tubes but still on the emittershape. Althought the tubes are selected in the Position Object 01 modifier.
Never mind i found it. By default there is also a positon icon in the stack. Worked after deleting.

Thanks for contributing to this site and a very helpfull look into paticle systems.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1992 ... ticles.jpg

nick_b
Cadet

Post by nick_b » Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 am

Excellent tutorial,

But, how did you get the asteroids to glow?

Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Post by Raul Mamoru » Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 am

The Ten Commandments for the Glow in 3ds max 2009.

01) Select any object.

02) Click the right mouse button, select "Object properties ..."

03) Locate the G-Buffer / Object ID field, enter the value "1". Click "OK".

04) Go to the top menu, Locate "Rendering", and in the list, click "Effects".

05) Now you're in the "Environment and Effects". Click "Add" on the right.

06) In the window "Add Effect", select "Lens Effects." Click "OK".

07) We return to the previous window. Below is a list of "Lens Effects" available. I chose "Glow". Now drag the contents of the window down to show the "Glow Element". Give an appropriate name for the effect.

08) Here we have two tabs: [Parameters] [Options]: Click "Options".
In "Image Sources", select "Object ID". (is automatically in "1".)

09) Go back to the "Parameters" tab and render an image.

10) Make the necessary adjustments. For details about setting, see Help in "Autodesk 3ds max help."

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If there are several objects equal to the same Effect, everyone should have the same or different G-Buffer number.
Example: Imagine a scene with several asteroids, a Sun and a TARDIS.

Several Asteroids: Select all asteroids. Object Properties / G-Buffer Object ID "1". Glow-Element [Options]: Object ID "1".

Sun: Object Properties / G-Buffer Object ID "2". add Glow+add Ring [Options]: Object ID "2".
You will Add/configure each one separately, but in [Options] tab of each one, the object ID is the same: "2"

TARDIS Lamp: Object Properties / G-Buffer Object ID "3". Glow-Element+Streak+Ray [Options]: Object ID "3".

I hope it helped you.

Allons-y!! :mrgreen:
Translated by GOOGLE Translated by GOOGLE

nick_b
Cadet

Post by nick_b » Thu May 10, 2012 11:55 am

Hello,

Thanks Raul,

I have tried that but only the original object glows not every object in the ring.

Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Post by Raul Mamoru » Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 pm

Cloned objects - "Instance" or "Copy" - carry the same G-Buffer object ID number of the "mother" object and present the same effect on the final image.

At least, that's what happens in my case, 3ds max 2009.Image
Translated by GOOGLE Translated by GOOGLE