How to make LCARS screens

Use this forum to post your tutorials and share your techniques with the world. Tutorials can be for any 3D package.
Also, for any 3D related software, this is the place to recommend new or good plugins or software. Commercial advertising is not permitted!
Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

How to make LCARS screens

Post by Chainsaw_NL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:33 pm

While working on my bridge model i found that i had to make my own LCARS screens instead of useing existing pictures. The main reason being that i did not wanted to ripp off someone else his work. Second it would have to fit the screen i made.

Starting off with a free image or vector graphics editor i created a diffuse map like this one. (just bigger)

Second i made an ilumination map because there are area's not lit. (if it is the same as the diffuse you can use the diffuse)

Now when i render these 2 maps it looks a bit animated.

So to make it look more like a surface where there is a light behind the screen i used a falloff map with the ilumination map and a gradiant map.

The gradiant map looks like this :

To get this effect, on the ilumination map select falloff map.
Then set the falloff as followed :

Last i added a raytrace on the reflection map to make it look like a glass surface

Then hopefully you will get a result like this :

Erik_Timmermans
Site Admin

Re: How to make LCARS screens

Post by Erik_Timmermans » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 am

It's clever to use the diffuse map and make it slightly different to give it an animated feel. Nice one!

Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Re: How to make LCARS screens

Post by Raul Mamoru » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 am

The final effect is quite realistic. 8)
Translated by GOOGLE Translated by GOOGLE