Windows on the ship?

Use this forum to post your tutorials and share your techniques with the world. Tutorials can be for any 3D package.
Also, for any 3D related software, this is the place to recommend new or good plugins or software. Commercial advertising is not permitted!
Tommy
Cadet

Windows on the ship?

Post by Tommy » Wed May 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi.

Can anyone help me put windows in my ship I'm creating, specifically like http://www.trekmeshes.ch/meshes/meshesd ... Name=1701D this model?

Thank you and I will credit you with the help.

Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Re: Windows on the ship?

Post by Chainsaw_NL » Thu May 17, 2012 10:58 pm

There are several way to do it. But i would need more on how detailed your models is.
Can you put a picture up of your model? Or name the type?

I'm assuming you want to make real windows? How detailed do they need to be? Just squares, chamfered edges, or rounded?
Keep in mind that if you make all windows in real geometry the polycount will be greatly increased. And the rendertime. Also more detail will take longer.

I usualy use a tubeshape (or square) as a window and make a ProBoolean on imprint mode to cut the windows into the surface. Then you can extrude and chamfer the edges if you need to.

Tommy
Cadet

Post by Tommy » Fri May 18, 2012 9:34 pm

A quick screen grab and

A quick render.

The windows only need to be basic and small as the ship is about the same size as the Enterprise E.

I had a try with the ProBoolean, but it kept saying 'boolean invalid'.

Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Post by Chainsaw_NL » Sat May 19, 2012 1:25 am

Try to convert to editable poly. Then select your ship and select proboolean. Turn on imprint mode then start picking.

Another way of doing it is to add more vertices. Just use ring/loop in the edit poly rollout. Add more vertices to fit your windows.

If you have some time this weekend i can show you on teamspeak or teamviewer.