A couple of conversions

If you know of meshes that are available, but not hosted on the STMC, or if you have made a mesh yourself and want to release it on the STMC, post here!

Moderator: Mesh Moderators

billy-home
Lieutenant

Re: A couple of conversions

Post by billy-home » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 pm

NETWORK1 wrote:
billy-home wrote:Now that is one lovely model by Mark, I'd be more than happy to convert that one,
do you know if it's available anywhere to download?
I don't know Mark unfortunately, though I have seen his work before a number of times
yes billy its on foundation 3d
Found it, I had seen it before there, I was just looking in the wrong place in the downloads section, I'll take a stab at it and see how it turns out, and contact Mark to make sure he's fine with me converting it, I can't see why he wouldn't be

billy-home
Lieutenant

Post by billy-home » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:02 pm

Now that's weird, I've just downloaded the model, and the read-me says it was built by someone named Ron L. Long, there and next to no textures with it at all, I'll do a bit of work on it and try and contact Mark to see if he actually did build a version himself or if he just re-textured this one

NETWORK1
Commander

Post by NETWORK1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:22 pm

yes billy
there's a definite discrepancy between the 2 models
one has extras added,like texture map and DETAIL.
so i think your right, that one of the designers or converters brought it up to spec
and immensely improved the original.
Last edited by NETWORK1 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
NETWORK1

billy-home
Lieutenant

Post by billy-home » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:48 pm

I'm going to try and do a bit of upgrading on the ship myself, UV map it where needed and tweak the textures a lot, add some specular panels.

I've no idea what that other ship is, your right though it doeas look like a mutated ST ship, I quite like it, it looks very sleek and deadly, though I wouldn't have put terrestrial markings on it myself

NETWORK1
Commander

Post by NETWORK1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 am

Looking forward to see the updated version of the model
the radmaker version,is extremely detailed, so dont feel to bad if it cant be matched exactly.
he may have spend a considerable amount of time on it, when you compare the 2 models.
NETWORK1

billy-home
Lieutenant

Post by billy-home » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:25 am

It looks like he did spend some time on it, I might just contact Mark and ask if I can use his version, it would save time, but on the other hand, as I said, I enjoy upgrading good models, and this one is a very clean mesh, which makes my job so much easier, and it's a fun challenge

NETWORK1
Commander

Post by NETWORK1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Challenge ? , thats A God Almighty conquest !

I found a " Development " link that might help you billy .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yard2380/ ... 4909349236
Last edited by NETWORK1 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NETWORK1

billy-home
Lieutenant

Post by billy-home » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:44 pm

Those images are brilliant, it actually looks harder than it is, a lot of the detail in those images are just a change in colour for the panels, those are easy to work with since they're already there and have assigned textures, what I'd like to do is add some panelling using the specular channel, for instance the cockpit does have panels, and rivets, but they are massive if you use the human referece images, a real ship wouldn't look anything like that, probably it's just me because everything is too smooth and clean, it looks very plastic to me, it's the muck and little faults that make things look real

billy-home
Lieutenant

Post by billy-home » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Just rechecked this model, most of the details I mentioned are't there, these guys must have worked hard to bring it up to the standard in the images you posted, it does look like it was a team effort though, there's always the possibility that the model I have is nothing more than the original base mesh, I think I should try and contact Mark about it, they might not like the idea of me messing with the model without permission, and may possibly send me the updated version if I ask nicely, I'll keep you posted

NETWORK1
Commander

Post by NETWORK1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:43 pm

thanx billy
look what i found, but its not the radmaker one
its without the texture map enterprise name,but the owner has freely accessed the model for last 2 years.
i think you know the one i mean ?
Also listed as Unrestricted-use so maby Eric timmermans will grant permission to host it on s.t.m.c. too
but it would look better with the enterprise name within a texture map and your extras.
Last edited by NETWORK1 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NETWORK1

billy-home
Lieutenant

Post by billy-home » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:26 pm

a little bit of research helps, Mark built the original, he sells images but has never released the model, this one is good but not on a par with the original. there's loads wrong with it, one of them being it's twice as big polygon wise as it should be, the command section for instance. Tron copied the whole thing and flipped the polys, so you have 2 sets sitting in exactly the same place, that causes so many problems when rendering, never mind exporting it, so instead of upgrading it I've started rebuilding it instead, it would take an age to fix what I can make myself, I'll post some images of how it's going with the command module soon

billy-home
Lieutenant

Post by billy-home » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:54 pm

What do you think of this? It's only the start of the base mesh detailing, I'm 50%/50% on this now, I do like some of the base panel detail, but I'd like some "outside" input
test-1.jpg

NETWORK1
Commander

Post by NETWORK1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:27 pm

iv sent you a pm billy.
NETWORK1

billy-home
Lieutenant

Post by billy-home » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:50 am

Here's a quick test render of the IXS Enterprise, there's still a good bit of work to do, but it's getting close to finished
IXS_Enterprise_Test1.jpg
I've UV mapped a lot of it, and added detailing where I can, to get it to look like Mark's would take forever, and he's already told me he won't help with textures or reference images because there are so many poor versions of the ship about, which is fair enough since he spent so much time working on his own version, I'm going to let him take a look at this as well, get his opinion of it.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it over the Easter period, though I'm going to be away for a couple of days to see my parents

NETWORK1
Commander

Post by NETWORK1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:53 pm

My God i cant believe how fast you created that !
well if you've UV MAPPED it, thats great ,
because all the detail of the Nuts,Bolts, Rivets, Screws,decals,logos,etc,
can be photoshoped in,to make the overall design look incredibly complex,and professional.
my system automatically creates a bump map per texture, which can be adjusted
so if its a seperate texture map,that would be excellent
im very surprised at the speed,achieved to get that almost finished, i was expectingit to take a lot lot longer.
NETWORK1