Star Trek: Beyond the Barrier/Trek V CG Help Needed

Place requests for meshes, blueprints and the likes here.
kev404
Cadet

Star Trek: Beyond the Barrier/Trek V CG Help Needed

Post by kev404 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Star Trek: Beyond the Barrier - 25th Anniversary Edit of Star Trek V
Background. This thing started as an experiment in late 2012 (see Star Trek V: Make it So). The experiment continued into 2013, but only intermittently--whenever an idea hit me. Then in late 2013 I began to feel a sense of dedication and urgency when it occurred to me that 2014 is the 25th anniversary of The Final Frontier. If ever there was a time to get serious about a Star Trek V edit, this is the year!

Thus, it's my sincere hope and intent to release a quality fanedit in mid or late 2014. But I'm going to need some help, so I've got my fingers crossed that some of you are equally passionate and excited about the prospects for a movie makeover and are willing and able to contribute essential bits and pieces along the way.

Help Wanted. I am heavily focused on principle editing, scene reconstructions, rotoscoping and compositing. That might sound like a lot, but there's plenty of other work to go around. Off the top of my head, here are a few areas where people can get involved and make a big impact to the overall production value of the finished movie:
CG Model Animation. The movie needs several new FX shots (see clip below), and not just of the Enterprise-A. There is the shuttlecraft, the Klingon Bird-of-Prey, Nimbus III, the Great Barrier, and the movie desperately needs a brand new spacedock departure scene!
Subtitles. There's a reason I stopped authoring subtitles for my fanedits: They can easily take a week or two to finish because there's a bit of science to the art of making proper subtitles.
Artwork. I'm a terrible graphic artist. You don't want me making the posters and cover art for this movie. Trust me.
Trailers. I've dabbled in trailers enough to know that I won't have time to produce anything good; but I know there are faneditors who actually specialize in making awesome shorts and trailers.
Sound FX
Ideas. Now is a great time to push that idea you've always had. The crux in fan-editing is coming up with good ideas that can actually be executed with available footage and resources.

Note: Final production footage is 1280x534 @ 23.976 fps.
Please Check out the website by creating a log-in and clicking on the Forum Link Below:
http://www.digital-fanedits.com/databas ... he-barrier
Editor:Anti-Matter
Updates on project in the forum
Posted by kev404/researcher on the project
Last edited by kev404 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

NETWORK1
Commander

Re: Star Trek V Fan Edit some CG Help Needed

Post by NETWORK1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:38 am

Last edited by NETWORK1 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NETWORK1

kev404
Cadet

Post by kev404 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:06 pm

I am a follower of the forum for the project and have been trying to help them out. The Editor is trying to learn animation on is own. I guess the best way to contact him is to contact Facebook, Youtube, or Website.

https://www.facebook.com/startrekbeyondthebarrier

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuvMZc ... n4JYhTtHug
Log-in
http://www.digital-fanedits.com/databas ... he-barrier

Thank You :P
Kev404

P.S. Excellent CG work!!!

kev404
Cadet

Post by kev404 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:38 am

An update to what help is needed:

Regarding CG help, I think I'll eventually be able to deliver all the ENT-A and BoP shots; but I can foresee needing help with a few things:

1. Shuttle - I cannot locate any film-quality shuttle meshes.(Trek V shuttles) There are 3 or 4 shots that really need to be re-done, so it would be nice if we can get help here;
2. Spacedock - Raul Mamoru has released a pretty nice CG mesh and all the textures, but I do not understand how to "map" the textures onto the object or how to animate the lights (so I can only render out a simple, grey spacedock). We need someone who understands how to do this using the 3D Studio software format. I think I can greatly improve our earlier spacedock departure sequence if I can get two new shots made;
3. Great Barrier - We need a skilled visual artist to help us design this thing and come up with some great shots. I have a few ideas, but I'm such a bad artist I'm afraid to start working on this sequence.
4. The Beast - I have some ideas for the beast, but we need to create a CG character. There is a software called Poser that is used to make animated characters for games. Can we find someone who wants to help us create our monster for the finale?

Anti-Matter
Cadet

Post by Anti-Matter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:26 am

I've been corresponding with NETWORK1, but the private messaging system won't allow me to attach image files, or image files that have been ZIP'd or RAR'd. So I hope it's alright that I use this area to get an image up.
st5_spacedock03.jpg
The image attachment is from Star Trek 3. I am wondering if the Mamoru spacedock model can support this type of close angle shot?
Digital Fanedits: The Art and Science of Change