SS Valiant

If you know of meshes that are available, but not hosted on the STMC, or if you have made a mesh yourself and want to release it on the STMC, post here!

Moderator: Mesh Moderators

SS Valiant

Postby vidsfx » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi,

I have created a model of the SS Valiant based upon the Greg Jein study model featured in the ST Chronology book. This is my first complex 3D starship model, but I was more than happy with the result, especially as there are no Valiants out there as far I know. The ship was referenced in the TOS episode Where No Man Has Gone Before as having been swept through the Galactic Barrier out of the galaxy 200 years prior.

The design is roughly over 100m long and I envisage the small front section to be the detachable lander (remember no transporters till mid-22nd century). The impulse engines are so huge due to the excessive amount of energy required to travel at up to 0.5c while traveling within a star system, warp drive not being an option there. The forward hull contains the airlock, guest area and command crew quarters, communication centre, navigational deflector, while the far larger main hull houses the fusion reactor (not antimatter yet), engineering, additional crew quarters, limited recreational facilities, science lab, escape pods on the underside and consumables storage in the forward area of the main hull.

I've downloaded so many models from STMC in the past, I thought it right to give something back :P

Here are some images:

valiant multiview.jpg
UESPA logo by Kristan Trigwell
valiant1.jpg
valiant2.jpg
vidsfx
Cadet

Re: SS Valiant

Postby Chainsaw_NL » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Sweet model dude, and origional. Nice work.
Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Postby Raul Mamoru » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi, Vidsfx!

The presentation is very nice.
Congratulations!

Be welcome!
Translated by GOOGLE
Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Postby Erik_Timmermans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Very nice! Especially considering you have build a model of a ship that has only vague reference material available. You've made it believable and fitting to it's time period.

I'd love to host it, if you wish. Please contact me using the forums or the email link on every page of the site if you wish.

Nice!
Erik_Timmermans
Site Admin

Postby vidsfx » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks guys, it's not perfect just a first try... I'd be glad to have it hosted at STMC. The zipped file is 8.21 MB and the mesh is in Max 2009 format. I am more than happy for people to modify or convert the mesh if they wish.
vidsfx
Cadet

Postby vidsfx » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:41 pm

"The Valiant" - Earth's First Starship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ZDjpqaJgQ&hd=1
vidsfx
Cadet

Postby Chainsaw_NL » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Sweet, nice video too. Perhaps you can make a breakdown of the vid and tell us what renderer you use and what lightsystem.
Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Postby vidsfx » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:40 am

Well the 3D elements are rendered in Max with the default scanline renderer, no extra plugins used. The lighting was a simple setup of 3 standard spotlights set to low intensities, linked to the camera and in postions to bring out nice specular reflections towards the camera. Another bright spotlight represented sunlight and I used advanced ray tracing for shadows. In final compostion I brought out the bright areas to achieve a bloom effect.

Currently working on a new video of the Valiant's encounter with the Galactic Barrier :P
vidsfx
Cadet

Postby Raul Mamoru » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Man, I saw the video! :shock:

I had to slap my face to realize that is a personal video.
It gives the impression that it is an official tv episode, and that there is a whole cast of real people.

Congratulations, VideoSpaceFX!
Translated by GOOGLE
Raul Mamoru
Admiral

Postby Erik_Timmermans » Sat May 05, 2012 11:01 am

The video is really, really sweet. Fantastic composition, lighting and music. Amazing!
Erik_Timmermans
Site Admin

Postby vidsfx » Thu May 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Thank you! I'm happy to have the model uploaded to STMC for others to use.
vidsfx
Cadet

Return to New meshes