V'Ger Mesh

Place requests for meshes, blueprints and the likes here.

V'Ger Mesh

Postby tnpir4002 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Hey guys,

I've been trying forever to find a single mesh of the V'Ger starship, but all I can find of it are meshes that are in pieces (i.e. LWO components but no LWS scene). Does anyone have the capability of making a single mesh of the whole thing that they could export? Much appreciated!
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Re: V'Ger Mesh

Postby starship » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:00 am

I know two V´gers... One from Lt Kevin Rilley, and other from a guy which I can´t remember the name... The first one, is a side view of the cloud, like when the klingons come in. The other, is the complete V´ger, but it isn´t a high polly. I believe that both are available at Foundation3d. ;)
starship
Commander

Postby tnpir4002 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:22 am

@starship: I'll have you know before we go any further that one of your creations (your NCC-1701-B, to be specific) was featured in my recently-completed fan film "Star Trek: Retribution." You do good work! (Don't worry, you were credited during the end credits as "J. 'starship' Cassio")

When I say "one mesh," I'm talking about just the V'Ger starship, not the cloud. The problem I have is that all of the packages I can find of the V'Ger starship are full of components (i.e. in the LWO download of it from Foundation3D: "BodyM," "Front Engine Detail," "Hull Details," etc.), but my software imports them individually as a tangled mess, each one in the center of the scene regardless of where it's supposed to go in relation to the others and each one with a different scale.

Most of the meshes you find out there are just one 3DS or OBJ for the entire thing (or, in the case of LightWave, a group of LWO objects, which use a single LWS scene file to put everything where it belongs and in proper scale, and so on). The V'Ger starship meshes I can find aren't like that, and I really want to use this mesh but I can't with it in the state that it's in. That's why I was asking if someone could get it imported successfully into something--MAX, LightWave, anything--and then export the whole thing as one single mesh instead of having separate meshes for every part.

Make any more sense now?
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Postby Chainsaw_NL » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:50 am

A bit busy remodeling my house but i'll try to have one this weekend. 3ds or obj?
Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Postby tnpir4002 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:14 pm

@Chainsaw_NL: either format would work, 3DS would be my first choice but if at all possible I'd like to get both formats just in case one doesn't work.

I greatly appreciate it!
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Postby Chainsaw_NL » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:29 am

try : https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6DpXRCw-EnDM0dMRVFUaHFOTkE (open in new tab)

Hope you can use it.

BTW : 3ds format could not export due to +64K poly's.
Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Postby tnpir4002 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:23 am

Sorry for the delayed reply, I downloaded it and it's better, but the problem is there's no way to apply textures (it all came out as one solid object, so there's no way to texture it). Maybe try a DXF?
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Postby starship » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:39 am

tnpir4002 wrote:@starship: I'll have you know before we go any further that one of your creations (your NCC-1701-B, to be specific) was featured in my recently-completed fan film "Star Trek: Retribution." You do good work! (Don't worry, you were credited during the end credits as "J. 'starship' Cassio")

Hey, thank you! This is unexpected, but I feel myself flattered knowing this. :) The E-B was my first release, and today I would make a lot of things of that mesh in a different way. Laércio, my good friend since 80´s helped me a lot with the textures too.
Can you point me the scene where she appears? :D
starship
Commander

Postby tnpir4002 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:30 am

@starship: it actually appears several times, in the battle sequences near the end of the film, and as part of the fleet regrouping at Starbase 375. Take a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFA-hNod ... ge#t=9417s

here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFA-hNod ... ge#t=9417s

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFA-hNod ... e#t=10920s

As you can see your mesh is in some very good company!

EDIT: and come to think of it, I used the same one in my first film, during a recreation of some of the Wolf 359 battle sequences from "Emissary." Check that out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T1cG5bO ... age#t=269s
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Postby Chainsaw_NL » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Did i misunderstand? I thought you wanted it as one object? What program do you use it in? The origional mesh was in different parts all textured separate.
Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Postby tnpir4002 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:48 pm

You didn't misunderstand, I did want one object (or, more precisely, one object group instead of separate components) but I still wanted to be able to texture the various pieces as needed. I'm trying to import this into Bryce, and it doesn't know how to properly scale and position each part; each piece just appears at world center and no two are ever scaled properly in relation to each other.
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Postby Chainsaw_NL » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Chainsaw_NL
Admiral

Postby tnpir4002 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 pm

^ Sort of...there doesn't seem to be a way to add the lightning texture to the wings this way. Let me work with it for a bit and see what I can do.

Either way I greatly appreciate your efforts here.
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Postby tnpir4002 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Nope, that won't work either. There are some components missing, so this still comes out looking like less than its complete self.

I've never seen a mesh designed like this, all of the ones I've seen came fully assembled, even LightWave components have a LWS scene file to help get them arranged.
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Postby tnpir4002 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Let's try coming at this from another angle. Besides Bryce I also have 3DS Max, has anyone else out there had any luck using any version of this mesh with that? Or better yet, if anyone's been able to assemble this into a complete form using MAX and wouldn't mind sharing the scene file?
tnpir4002
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Requests